Allison, Bob wrote:
Something else of note I discovered using Proximity:

If you have multiple repositories mirrored, you need to keep the
snapshot repositories away from the release repositories.  In my case, I
was using Proximity to mirror "central" but it also had several other
repositories in its configuration including a couple snapshot
repositories.  My original thinking was that I could do this and avoid
needing to specify individual repositories in my master POM.  The
problem with this arrangement is that if Proximity returns metadata for
a snapshot release, Maven will be unable to retrieve the artifact and
POM because central is defined as releases only.

The problem here is that Proximity is nothing but a plain HTTP proxy and has no knowledge of Maven repositories which falls apart with two repositories with the same metadata file. The first one will probably cached and the latter will never be used. So if the first repository is the snapshot repository and the latter the release repository it will probably never download the release. This is a bit disappointing as Proximity is basically what maven-proxy always has been delivering.

--
Trygve