I'm not sure I understand how the MNG-2546 issue is related to what I
need in the IDE. let me reiterate my requirements.
1. find out what the source roots are (even if not existing yet) for a
given project without executing it. That sort of points in the
directtion of declaratively marking some mojo parameters as source
roots and making it available from the mojo descriptions.
2. plugging into the maven execution cycle from the IDE is already
possible. A simple method is to register the loggers, a more advanced
one is to replace plexus components with custom, proxying versions of
my own that do additional bookkeeping. It wouldn't hurt to make it
easier but it's generally possible.
3. I want to keep the actual building as separated from the IDE
environment as possible. This might sound contrary to 2. but is
actually complimentary. I want a peek tool into the project definition
(2), but the actual process of execution shall be untouched(3).
Additionally one might want to have multiple versions of maven to
execute in the IDE environment at once (in case of some binary
incompatibility). That's where having the IDE's build to depend on one
particular version could hurt.

Are you aware of the work being done on the eclipse:eclipse plugin to
support pde development?

This is command line building of eclipse plugins and not embedded in eclipse.