Hi...

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 14:14 -0700, Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 12/5/06, Kenney Westerhof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > A solution for this case would be to not allow any code in war projects;
> > everything that goes in /WEB-INF/classes
> > should just be in a dependency placed in /WEB-INF/lib.
>
> This would be a pain for things like web framework example apps.  (It
> would double the number of modules we have to keep up with.)
>
> While any non-trivial webapp is going to have multiple modules, I
> wouldn't like to see it be impossible to have an entire webapp in a
> single module with war packaging.

A co-worker of mine whose first introduction to Maven was with an EJB
project expressed surprise when he encountered difficulty with
classpaths and overlays in a WAR project.  He said he had expected the
WAR plugin to offer the option of creating something analagous to the
ejb-client jar produced by the EJB plugin.

So as long as the plugin made the creation of the "web-classes.jar"
transparent (and possibly optional) for the user, it could be used in a
single module project.  And then other clients could declare a
dependency of type 'web-classes' or something.

Would that work?

Jim