On Wednesday 06 December 2006 14:08, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> > 1. Who is going to maintain this? It seems rather complicated when we
> > have something that works pretty easily.
>
> The patch's goals are twofold.
> 1: Ensure full offline mode (the -o switch still allows maven to try and
>    check for plugin updates and what not in valid repositories)

Couldn't this be done by adding an "local" profile into the installed
settings.xml that would cause a local directory (like /usr/share/m2_repo) or
something to be added as a repository.   That directory could be built by
jpackage or something to just be sym-links to the installed libs.

> 2: Ensure that projects can build against a single version of a
>    dependency, rather than multiple.

This bothers me the most.   If my project's pom.xml says I depend on "foo
version 1.1.3", it better be built and installed with "foo version 1.1.3",
not "foo version 1.2" or "foo version 1.1.5" of "foo version 2.0".    If I
wanted to say "any 1.x version", I would have used a version range in my pom.

If redhat or rpm or whatever cannot install multiple versions of a resource,
that seems like a deficiency in those and I don't think maven should go out
of it's way to work around that.   Maven's dependency management is
definitely one of it's strong point.   That type of change bypasses all of
that.

Also, this changes the "names" of the jars which affects things like
classpaths and such.   "foo-1.1.3.jar" is very different than "foo.jar" in
things like scripts, paths, etc....

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer