Hi,

this is actually a user question and should be asked on the user list.
There are also more people out there that use JBoss and maven so you
may have better luck there.

In the mean time I suggest you try to find out what it is that's
breaking it. Take the maven2 built jar, unjar it, and try each step in turn to see
if that solves it:
- jar it up with the commandline 'jar' or ant; maybe the compression is unknown?
- remove META-INF/maven/
- remove META-INF/MANIFEST.MF's Build-JDK entry
- remove/change other manifest entries
- remove META-INF/
- do a diff on the classes (perhaps using javap's output) - are the class
versions
 different? Is the same jdk used for both maven and ant?
- (is the content other than META-INF exactly the same? no missing classes?)

-- Kenney

Graham Leggett wrote:
Hi all,

I am have a very strange interoperability problem between jars produced by
maven and jars produced by ant when it comes to JBoss.

JBoss supports the concept of java code running standalone accessing EJBs
in a JBoss container over a network. To do this you package up two files
into the META-INF directory of a jar file - application-client.xml and
jboss-client.xml - and deploy this client jar within your ear file to your
JBoss server.

We have an existing ant generated client jar that works fine in the ear
file. When we swap it with the same jar built by maven, Jboss refuses to
load the EJBs from the ear file, and behaves in a generally broken way,
but not enough to give us a real error message. Swap the ant created jar
back, and all returns back to normal. All other jars, from dependencies to
the ejb and ear file, are built using maven, and these work fine on
condition the ant built client jar is included.

The differences between the ant jar and the maven jar come down to the
entries inside MANIFEST.MF. The ant build has Ant-Version and Created-By,
while the maven version has Archiver-Version, Created-By, Built-By and
Build-JDK. The maven jar also has a "maven" directory containing the pom
file.

I don't yet know enough about all of this to reliably ascertain whether
this is a JBoss problem or a maven problem, my question is - has anyone
seen behaviour like this before?

Could the different attributes inside the MANIFEST.FM file affect things?
Could the presence of the "maven" directory and the copy of the pom file
in the jar upset JBoss in any way?

Regards,
Graham