On 11 Jan 07, at 8:56 AM 11 Jan 07, Kenney Westerhof wrote:

I really don't care what machine builds the release.
Maven is supposed to be able to make reproducible builds so it shouldn't
matter where you build from.

You know as well as I do that isn't the case quite yet. The reduction of any variation is necessary.

The only problem will be the contents of the local repository (snapshots),
which will be a problem on any machine.

No. What JVM is that is used, what version of Maven you used to build it as well, how you bootstrapped. All these things need to be defined so that things can be as consistent as possible.

I suppose you're going to do an 2.0.5-rc-1 with mvn release:prepare, which
should make sure only non-snapshot project artifacts are used
(but not plugins). The only way to be sure no snapshot plugins are used
is to disable the snapshot repo from the parent/root pom..

I'm going to use the staging tools and put the release as it will be in final form into a repository which won't pollute the central repository. If it's fine then I will merge it with the central repository.

Maybe I'm missing the point - what's far better about performing releases on a 27/4 monitored box running Linux that also hosts the central repo?

Do you want to release from a Windows machine? I don't. And if many people take responsibility for doing releases, which should happen, then it should happen with the same set of parameters off the same machine. If something goes wrong with that machine we get a 5 minute turn around time for help which is a good thing. No one in an enterprise environment lets joe developer build a release for production (unless they are insane) and we shouldn't either. The releases should come from an environment that is as stable as possible.

Jason.

-- Kenney

Jason van Zyl wrote:
I haven't called the vote yet, just wanted to settle on picking a machine to dispatch it from.
It's coming, it's coming :-)
jason.