Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> I think every maven release should use a defined set of plugin versions.
> That would be reproducible and close to what it's happening now.

Sounds good.  So for the compile plugin if I don't specify a version I get
the default that was tested as part of the release of Maven 2.x.y.  If I do
specify a version, then I overrule.

This works fine for the standard plugins, but what about more exotic
plugins?

We need a mechanism that is:
 - deterministic
 - simple for newbies
 - flexible for old hands

So if I'm writing spelling-checker-plugin how do we make it deterministic
when the user doesn't specify a version?  Since Maven doesn't know about my
plugin, I guess my plugin must know about maven.  I need some meta-data that
says:
 - for maven version <2.0.4 use  spelling-checker-plugin version 1.1
 - for maven version 2.0.5-2.0.6 use  spelling-checker-plugin version 1.2
 - otherwise use spelling-checker-plugin version 2.0

Perhaps this meta-data could in maven-metadata.xml and held in the
repository.

How does that sound?

Should this apply to all plugins, or just exotic ones?  Perhaps it should
apply to all.

Thanks

David