This pretty much describes our world too.

And I couldnt agree more with the sentiments that code in *all its guises*
must be explcitly managed. you don't compile arbitrary code, don't use
arbitrary compilers, don't link against arbitrary libraries... arbitrary
bad. Build scripts are code, christ even my shell is a dependency to be
managed (mid-90s multi-platform C++ coming back to haunt me). As others have
said I think migration and upgrade scenarios are better supported by tools,
plugins and docs, not inference and discovery (and by this i mean a plugin
that tells you what is potentially available for upgrade)