On 24/06/07, Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
For the branch if it was 100% non-invasive i.e  did not interfere at
all with _anything_ setup currently, did not change the default
conflict resolver and was undetectable by the common user, and you
took responsibility and ownership of any problems that arise then I
would be fine with it going into the branch.

Yep, the patch merely pushes some hardcoded code into a pluggable
component, so it works exactly as before with no changes required by
the user.  I'd be happy to handle any issues that would potentially
arise from this refactor.

If you are using the
existing APIs and not changing them _at all_

The only API changes are:
- the currently empty interface ConflictResolver now has a usable
resolveConflict method
- ArtifactCollector now has an further collect method that accepts a
list of ConflictResolvers

Technically, both of these changes could be avoided by not reusing the
empty ConflictResolver interface, but whether this is really an issue
is up for grabs.

and just plugging in
your mechanism which works by altering your installation then I don't
see how this will affect any current 2.0.x users.

This would be the bare minimum, with the use of extensions as
discussed elsewhere in this thread as the ideal.

You must also
express this new behavior with ITs and tests as the onus is on you to
make sure we can replicate the behavior but I don't think anyone can
promise anything vis-a-vis the code you use or the ultimate solution
in 2.1.

Sure.

I can understand not wanting to use 2.1.x and that your solution gets
you where you need to be for 2.0.x. My only concern is that you don't
hose anything currently working. Any sort of conflict resolution
should be declarative and will be the case for 2.1.x. I don't think
it's overly useful in the trunk but put the code into both so they
stay in sync.

I understand, the changes are non-intrusive and must be proactively
enabled.  I agree it'd be good to keep the branch and trunk in sync
until the code is replaced for 2.1.

I'm fine with the additions as long as you take responsibility for
the changes. You'll have to wait a while as others may not be fine
with it so I'm sure you'll have a clear path this week sometime.

Great, I'll look forward to any feedback.

Cheers,

Mark