On Monday 09 July 2007 04:37, Mark Hobson wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I'm not overly familiar with that side of the release plugin, so if
> someone else fancies reviewing the changes.  Does this affect
> MRELEASE-83 at all?  Since that's the only unresolved issue scheduled
> for 2.0-beta-7.

Nope.   Doesn't touch that side.

However, I cannot reproduce MRELEASE-83.     I cannot see how, but that
may be SCM specific.   For my SVN stuff, when I ran:

mvn release:prepare -Dusername=dkulp -Dpassword=XXXXXX

all the svn commands had the correct flags:

svn --username dkulp --password ***** --non-interactive status
svn --username dkulp --password ***** --non-interactive \
     commit --file /tmp/maven-scm-872347461.commit \
     --targets /tmp/maven-scm-63296-targets
svn --username dkulp --password ***** --non-interactive \
     copy --file /tmp/maven-scm-668401696.commit .   \
     http://url/to/repo/tag
svn --username dkulp --password ***** --non-interactive \
     commit --file /tmp/maven-scm-506104864.commit \
     --targets /tmp/maven-scm-63297-targets

and for mvn release:perform:
svn --username dkulp --password ***** --non-interactive checkout \
     http://url/to/repo/tag checkout

Dan

> Cheers,
>
> Mark
>
> On 07/07/07, Daniel Kulp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Mark,
> >
> > I just committed a start of a fix for this problem.
> >
> > To not require a new release of plexus-utils, I copied a little bit
> > out of CommandLineUtils and into ForkedMavenExecutor for now.
> > Longer term, that code should go back into plexus-utils (I'm not a
> > committer there).
> >
> > I've done some basic testing and things seem to work much better.
> > gpg plugin properly asks for it's password.   gpg output is
> > displayed. etc....
> >
> > This MAY also fix MRELEASE-93.  Not sure.   However, switching to
> > the raw streams from the line based buffered IO SHOULD fix that.  I
> > haven't actually tried that yet.
> >
> > In any case, could someone more familiar with the code do a quick
> > review on it to make sure it's OK?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Dan
> >
> > On Saturday 07 July 2007 10:52, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > > Mark,
> > >
> > > I was looking into the problems with the GPG plugin when run from
> > > the release plugin and the problems seem to entirely be problems
> > > of the release plugin and Plexus utils.   They are showing up in
> > > the gpg plugin, but any plugin that tries to do anything
> > > interactively would most likely run into the same problems.
> > >
> > > Issues:
> > > 1) System.in - the release manager doesn't feed anything from
> > > System.in into the forked process.  I tried adding System.in to
> > > the CommandLineUtils.executeCommandLine call, but that just causes
> > > a hang. CommandLineUtils will wait until the "in" stream is
> > > completely consumed (returns -1) before returning.   With
> > > System.in, that never will happen.
> > >
> > > 2) Buffered(line style) out - the StreamPumpers use
> > > BufferedInputStream.readLine() to pump from one stream to the
> > > other. This won't work.   Anything that does something (like the
> > > release plugin itself) that prompts and then waits for a response
> > > on the same line will appear to just "hang" as the prompt will
> > > never make it to the screen.
> > >
> > > Basically, those two issues completely prevent us from being able
> > > to un-hard code GPG passphrases from build scripts and such.
> > > (unless you set gpg.useagent to true and use an agent)
> > >
> > > In anycase, MGPG-9 is really a release plugin bug although part of
> > > it is due to plexus-utils not providing the support it would need
> > > to work properly.    Most likely, we'll need to add a method in
> > > CommandLineUtils that would just take the raw streams (in/out/err)
> > > and do straight byte copy reads without the line buffering.  (and
> > > once the process completely, stop pumping the in stream)   (of
> > > course, that would then require another plexus-utils release and
> > > then the release plugin would only work with Maven 2.0.6+ with the
> > > utils shaded, but that may be minor)   I'll poke around more and
> [...]

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194