Hi everyone,

We've been trying for quite a long time to get into a mode of faster, more incremental releases. However, when it comes to actually doing this, we seem married to the idea of pushing out impressive feature lists with new releases.

I'd like to call an end to that practice, and start pushing out a 2.1- alpha-1 release of Maven. No, it's not perfect. No, it doesn't have even the beginnings of some of the features we'd like to have in 2.1 eventually. Yes, there will be some regressions. But after all, this would be the first alpha release of the 2.1 minor version...so it's expected to be more of a quick sketch, and lacking some (perhaps important) details.

2.1-SNAPSHOT already has some interesting new capabilities. I'm sure I can't name them all, but I know that personally, I've enabled custom profile activators and the ability to preview the build plan before it's executed, among other things. We've (primarily Jason) been steadily improving the embedder support, and that's gotten pretty damn good at this point, too. I for one would like to start getting some feedback about the stuff we're working on out here, and I think putting together a packaged distribution is the best way to go about that.

What do others think?

-john

---
John Casey