On 30 Jul 07, at 12:27 AM 30 Jul 07, John Casey wrote:

I've added code in 2.2-beta-2-snap to address this problem...at least, it should address it. I added resolution to the plugin before 2.2-beta-1 because there were issues when people wanted to create an assembly that didn't require dependencies to be resolved, and the dependencies couldn't be resolved for one reason or another. This way, dependency resolution is held off until one or more assembly-descriptor subsections requires it.

How did it happen that you needed a different resolver? In the shade plugin we're just using the set of artifacts resolved by the system. You found something that didn't work to allow you to select the artifacts you wanted due to problem with the artifact resolution code? I have found problems too but can be worked around inside the plugin and the set of artifacts handed back using @requiresDependencyResolution.

IMO, this is a perfectly valid use case for artifact resolution, and moreover, the reason we separated the artifact api from maven- core in the first place. If we decide we want to enable plugins to call back into the core conditionally to trigger artifact resolution, then fine...but this isn't possible in 2.0.x.

For systems that have no access to the mechanism, but redoing it in plugins doesn't make much sense to me as a full power of resolution is available using @requiresDependencyResolution. What was the reason to duplicate the resolver?

-john