Hi,

As a heavy Maven **user**, what would be best for us is having some plugin
(could be the enforcer, or another) automatically generate this
configuration for us into the POM. Something along the lines of:

mvn enforcer:lock-plugins

This command will find the most appropriate version of relevant plugins and
modify my POM(s) to explicitly specify them. Later on, I can either manually
modify my POM when I want to upgrade a plugin, or run another command, e.g:

mvn enforcer:update-all-plugins

or:

mvn enforcer:update-plugin
-DgroupId=org.apache.maven.plugins-DartifactId=maven-jar-plugin
-Dversion=latest/2.9.9.9

Current behavior should remain, if only not to upset the many non-enterprise
users which use Maven more "lightly".

HTH,
    Arik.