I think it's a good idea. The risk is it delays 2.0.8 a little longer,
but the benefit of getting there sooner and being compatible with the
changes in 2.1 shouldn't be underestimated.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason van Zyl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 10:41 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: Using Maven Artifact in 2.0.x

Hi,

How do people feel about trying to use maven-artifact in 2.0.x?

The code has not changed, and backward compatibility will be
maintained, and from Mark's trials it appears to work. Is this
correct Mark? The ITs run using the decoupled version?

The question is what are the criteria to decide if this is viable?

1) All plugins using the old artifacts must work (we need those smoke
test projects in plugins)
2) Code must be binary compatible (easy to check with clirr)

The only thing I can see as a problem right now is if people directly
depend on maven-artifact-manager (would you guess that's the api?)
then without a modification for the request of that would cause a
problem. This needs to be fixed in 2.1 as well and I was just going
to flip any requests for

org.apache.maven:maven-artifact
org.apache.maven:maven-artifact-manager
org.apache.maven:maven-repository-metadata

into a request for

org.apache.maven.artifact:maven-artifact

which containers everything required.

A little artifact filter would do the trick.

We are going to have to maintain backward compat in maven-artifact
for a long time anyway because of plugins using it directly. We are
going to have to support 2.0.x for a long time and having to maintain
divergent copies of maven-artifact will very much suck ass. Maven
2.0.x is going to be used for a long time, and that's fine, but the
easier to maintain the better.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl