+1 get it out and that doesn't stop us from doing another release soon.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Kulp [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:22 PM
To: dev@maven.apache.org
Subject: Re: [VOTE] release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1

Well, I'd prefer to not get into "version number" arguments as it really

just doesn't matter.    Hell, we have plugins (like the release plugin,
dependency plugin, etc..) that EVERYONE uses that haven't had a real
release and others (like surefire) that never had a "alpha/beta"
release, but probably should have.

The fact is MSHADE-9 is not something we can fix in maven-shade-plugin.

It's a bug in ASM and isn't fixable until they provide a fix.  (unless
someone wants to jump into ASM code.  I don't have the time.)   Since
they haven't provided a new version into the repos in almost a year, I'm

not going to hold my breath for a fix.

IMO, we shouldn't let that hold up moving forward with getting this
plugin in shape for the many people and projects that don't need that
fixed.   In it's current form, the plugin works perfectly fine for a
large number of use cases.   Thus, I say lets get it out.   Wether it's
call beta-1 or alpha-16 or even 1.0 is relatively irrelevant to me.

Anway, that all said, any more PMC votes either way?

Dan

On Wednesday 16 January 2008, Dan Fabulich wrote:
> I approve of the idea of releasing another version of
> maven-shade-plugin, but I don't think we should call it non-alpha
> until MSHADE-9 is fixed.
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSHADE-9
>
> If this were called 1.0-alpha-16, I'd give it a +1; as it stands, I
> have to vote -1 (non-binding).
>
> -Dan
>
> Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > I'd like to release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1 as I kind of need
> > it for some of my projects.  I think Geronimo may need it as well.
> >
> > This fixes a couple issues we'e run into:
> >
> > ** Bug
> >    * [MSHADE-11] - Shaded jars are not unjarrable
> >    * [MSHADE-13] - META-INF/INDEX.LIST files need to be skipped
> > ** New Feature
> >    * [MSHADE-12] - Ability to filter contents of the archives added
> > to the shaded jar
> >
> > Release notes:
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=13921&style
> >Name=Text&projectId=11540&Create=Create