From: Don Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 4:49 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: Re: Dramatically speed up dependency resolution

On 1/28/08, Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
* Connection pooling: Uses the http wagon instead of
http-lightweight
and fixed incorrect http client initialization

James Dumay also worked on this. So you might want to talk to him or
look. I'm not sure if you're the Don Brown from Atlassian.

Ok WAGON-86.  Yep, that fixes the connection pooling and adds timeouts
to boot.  This patch should really be applied ASAP as it will make a
big different to users once the http wagon has been made the default.

And yes, [EMAIL PROTECTED] == Don Brown from Atlassian

* Parallel resolution of artifacts - Uses a thread worker pool to
parallelize artifact resolution

You should also be aware of the rewrite that Oleg Gusakov started and
has a first working version for in maven-artifact trunk which will
result in a dramatic simplification and optimization of the artifact
resolution process. I'll push him to get the visualization tool he
created out to the community so people can see it in action.

Looking at the new code, I don't see any reason why the patch wouldn't
work for the new version.  The new version still processes each
artifact serially when parallel would produce better results.

If you sync up with James, the connection pooling we can get into
Wagon. The artifact code please make sure you're working from maven-
artifact trunk as we'll make an attempt shortly to integrate that.

My only problem with porting it is I want to be using this code now.
How stable is trunk?  Is a 2.1 release around the corner?

Don

http://people.apache.org/~mrdon/maven-2.0.9-SNAPSHOT-uber.jar

Don

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

-- Shakespeare

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

-- Shakespeare