Why not further steps towards terseness?

1. Get rid of collection container elements.

Why this:

  <execution id="generate">
    <goals>
      <goal>descriptor</goal>
    </goals>
  </execution>

When this wold suffice:

  <execution id="generate">
    <goal>descriptor</goal>
  </execution>

This seems like a trivial issue, but when you look at all of the container elements, dependencies, plugins, exclusions, profiles. Doing this would require...

2. Getting away from xs:all and defining an order for child elements throughout the XSD.