Hi,

I always looked at repo IDs as "something local" to my machine (take
into account Brian's note: apache.snapshot vs apache.snapshots vs
apache-snapshot etc). How many builds exists with those variants of
the same repo?

Also, you can easily "pull in" the _same_ repo with different ID into
the build over some dependency or different profile. What then?

My thought:

a) if using "entry level" / OSS maven, the repo URL will be entered by
the user anyway.

b) if using "enterprise level", where we can expect some control, the
URL will also be added once somewhere (centrally managed settings,
repoman or whatever), but we can expect that "enterprise level" users
will/should use "enterprise level" tools :)

Hence, the URL is the one and only thing that fulfills the HTTP
"adressability" of repo, even if the repo is "dead" (absent, host is
down or simply the project ceased to exist), we can keep a
history/list/directory of know reposes and optionally offer some
alternatives. Not saying this is a job for maven itself, mere for the
maven community.

And we can make tools easily that consumes those directories and makes the job.

~t~

~t~