But if we do so on a whole CI server, I fear the havoc will be bigger than
expected

I surely did not mean to do this immediately for the main CI builds. Given
Maven's current state, it's some future goal. Maybe we could setup a
secondary CI build job for this, such that people working on the encoding
issues can see how well the progress is without affecting the usual CI
reports? Not sure what the infrastructure allows.

and we'll need a lot of work to fix everything and have a stable situation

Well, you're not alone ;-) I already started to hunt down some occurrences
of FileWriter/FileReader which are prime indicators for wrong encoding
handling.

I found that building any plugin fails: there are problems when scanning
mojo.

I haven't had yet the time to setup some nice IT for this, but the fix is
here: MPLUGIN-101. Some related encoding problems for the plugin tools are
also already hanging around in JIRA.

Benjamin