I've been trying to make it work with assembly plugin but configuration is
quite heavy. I manage to archive my configuration files in a zip file, but
then how do I configure the other modules to unpack the archive (just this
one) to the right directory? Far too much hassle.

I'm starting to think that duplicating those configuration files is like the
"least bad" solution.