From: Benjamin Bentmann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 4:51 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: Re: POM Element for Source File Encoding

Hervé Boutemy wrote.
> the proposal is here:
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/POM+Element+for+Source+File+Encoding

Recently, we have received two comments from users on the wiki that are
against the proposed default encoding of Latin-1 but would rather like it to
stay as is, i.e. platform default encoding.

I am aware that this a controversial issue, backward-compat on the hand,
out-of-the-box build reproducibility on the other. Personally, I still
believe that some progressions need to break with historical flaws but I
also don't want to silently ignore the reported objections. In the end it
might boil down to the democratic question what is the opinion of the
majority. Therefore, I think it might be a good idea to simply run a vote
for this on the user list, too. Would that be reasonable, other ideas?

Benjamin