On 4-May-08, at 11:11 AM, nicolas de loof wrote:

I retrotranslated maven-artifact so that users of 1.4 in m2eclipse would not be inconvenienced. I have not retrotranslated XBR as we asked users about 1.5 use on the m2eclipse list and the only people that responded were
those who wanted to drop support for 1.4.

Why did this happen on m2eclipse-users list and not on maven-dev one ?

We did it here a long time ago, but we asked Eclipse users because they are more effected by limitations of the platform. Go look in the mailing archive, there was a long discussion on this list. In short the impact to users of IDEs, especially Eclipse, has far more impact then general command line usage. From what's been seen so far almost everyone could survive on the CLI with 1.5, but when things in Eclipse/ WTP integration not working on older versions of the target platform is a real nightmare so that's why we asked there, in addition to here.

If one dependendency now requires Java5,why still retrotranslate others ?

Sorry, I don't GROK your question. There is only one retrotranslated dependency: maven-artifact.

Nicolas.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl