Quoting Ralph Goers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

It is currently working as designed. Maven won't resolve properties for
any of the items in the parent section. The pom below would be a
problem if it was actually installed into a repository as it would
require that the property be specified even if the artifact was a
transitive dependency.

I don't follow you here. In the parent pom.xml, I use normal version numbers. All I want is that the current pom.xml allows a property as the version of the parent POM. Even if the current POM gets installed in a repository, it's no problem because (just like when it's local), the property must be set when it's loaded/resolved/whatever.
This is a problem. Anyone who wants to use your artifact, or anyone who
wants to use an artifact which uses your artifact would have to set the
property. Worse, they really wouldn't have any idea what the proper
version should be.

Well, we need this only internally. Then, if you really wanted to, you could add a comment to the pom to give a hint which version to use and you could give an explanation in the website.

And if all else fails, you could just look in the repository to see which versions are available. I mean, this is not some info which has no context. This is part of a project and that means that you have more ways to transfer this information (which is vital since you need that feature).

Does that mean that I could omit the version tag and just use relativePath? That would work for me. Is that patch for 2.0 or 2.1?
No, you would need the version tag with the version being a "special"
symbol. While omitting the version would be nice I'm sure it would
break all kinds of existing use cases and that can't be tolerated.  I
am targeting 2.0, but only if I can be sure it won't break any builds.

And timeframe for a patch to try?

I'm aware that there are plans to allow "includes" in Maven 2.1 but I'd like a solution for 2.0.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this. I'm not aware of "includes".

In 2.1, you can build a POM by using fragments (I don't remember the real name and I couldn't find anything in the Wiki right now). It's kind of like having several parent POMs where each of them adds a certain piece of info.

http://www.pdark.de/