It is currently working as designed. Maven won't resolve properties for any of the items in the parent section. The pom below would be a problem if it was actually installed into a repository as it would require that the property be specified even if the artifact was a transitive dependency.

I am working on a modification that allows the version to be obtained by reading the pom located at the relativePath and getting the version from it, but I still have a couple of issues to resolve. It wouldn't solve your case though, as even there it won't actually accept a system property for the version.

Ralph

Aaron Digulla wrote:
Hi,

This may sound silly but I can't get this to work:

    <parent>
        <groupId>ch.globus</groupId>
        <artifactId>globus-parent-pom</artifactId>
        <version>${version.globus-parent-pom}</version>
    </parent>

I tried to define the property via settings.xml, via %HOME%\mavenrc_pre.bat and directly on the command line. No luck. Maven doesn't seem to resolve properties for parent POMs.

Why is that? Is that a bug?