I just started dialog with the BC guys to look at Mercury so I will see what there thoughts are.

If it is the case where it is common that for a given GAV the classified artifact requires different dependencies then I think we have some flaws in the system. It means we just ran out of runway because we can't actually express what an artifact needs correctly.

It does not seem unlikely that a different JDK or a different platform might require something different. If this is prevalent then our definition of a classifier is in correct. It works for non-runtime artifacts like javadocs and sources as those are obviously don't require any dependency changes.

Oleg and I were talking about this yesterday in fact where an artifact that may potentially be in the classpath should have it's own POM. We also have the case today where artifacts with classifiers are not reflected in the metadata explicitly. We can scan a repository with Nexus and find out what artifacts have sources and javadocs, but you can't tell normally without making a query and have it succeed or fail.

That said, if people know of many cases where a classified artifact does indeed require changes in the dependency set I don't think we can use classifiers. The asymmetry in the requirements for an artifact with a classifier look problematic in this case. For an artifact that participates in a build or runtime, it needs a POM of its own if the system is going to be deterministic.

Maybe we extend the definition of a classifier to explicitly refer to things like sources and javadocs which have no impact on the dependency requirements. GWT for the MAC is really a different artifact then GWT for Linux and maybe we should just start treating them as such.