On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If it is the case where it is common that for a given GAV the classified
> artifact requires different dependencies then I think we have some flaws in
> the system.

But that seems to be quite naturally to me. Consider the case of a jar
file which has been processed by RetroTranslator or something similar.
The artifact with the jdk14-classifier might (for example) need
additional retrotranslator libraries. It might also need jaxp3 and
lots of other stuff thats in JDK 1.5 by default.

> That said, if people know of many cases where a classified artifact does
> indeed require changes in the dependency set I don't think we can use
> classifiers. The asymmetry in the requirements for an artifact with a
> classifier look  problematic in this case. For an artifact that participates
> in a build or runtime, it needs a POM of its own if the system is going to
> be deterministic.

Ok, but in that case I would also suggest to reconsider the "one
artifact per project" dogma. At least, I wouldn't be overly happy to
split a lot of projects into multiple just because they finally run
retrotranslator to obtain a JDK 1.4 version.

Jochen

--
Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before
you break 'em.

 -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)