I'm not sure even rolling in changes to support this in 2.0.11+ answers the question. We're still having trouble getting people up from 2.0.6 type versions, and we're still supporting Maven 1 clients. A forced upgrade, even over time, seems impractical at this point.

A lot of good suggestions in this thread that I agree with, though.

Here is what I would propose:

1) start deploying artifactId-version-pom.xml to the repository as the original, unmodified POM artifact alongside the 4.0.0 versioned POM file 2) continue deploying 4.0.0 versioned .pom files as we do now. We could potentially strip these down to just a subset of the information that is actually used by client tools today 3) use tools to produce those 4.0.0 POMs in the future (or repository managers), much like the m2 -> m1 situation that is available today

These steps give us enough to start incrementing the modelVersion already, and the code is already available in various places.

4) continue to map out a future where repository metadata is unified, extensible, and business logic like transitive dependencies algorithms, inheritence and interpolation are not wound into it, for new tools to take advantage of. Probably use a new repository layout (even if the layout is the same) as a hint to Maven for how to treat it so it can be cleaned up

This seems pretty much the direction everyone is headed, right?

- Brett