Ralph,

Ralph Goers wrote:

This whole thread makes my head hurt.

Frankly, and at the risk of being repetitious, I think all this work into making this resolution based on versioning is pretty much a waste of time. Now if your picture incorporated artifact metadata, such as "provides" and "requires" attributes I'd sit up and take notice. Until it does it really won't much matter how this works since everything is going to continue to be locked down with managed dependencies.

All I'm really looking for is a) dependency resolution based on artifact attributes, b) notification when an unresolvable conflict exists, and c) a way to generate managed dependencies based on a and b so that the build can always be repeated.
Good news: I think I have a very good upgrade path towards that. Overall - I think we should stabilize Maven3, and then enhance Mercury resolution as an attribute based superset of GAV we have now. The foundation is already there as I was keeping this path in mind while designing Mercury.

I will post my proposal and publish it on the list.

Merry XMas!
Oleg

Ralph