Vincent Siveton wrote:
Hi,

2008/12/24, Oleg Gusakov <oleg.subscripti...@gmail.com>:

[SNIP]

 Can you name one single reason why moving this file away and creating 6
additional folders on the way that would not exist otherwise is beneficial?
Without using the argument "it's a convention"? :)

As said, that is truly what we (Maven and devs) are selling...
Please regard this as "let's make it better" discussion, not as "I am a smart ass" discussion :)

We are selling developer productivity via convention, not convention by itself. And I am 100% behind this statement: convention goes a long way to ensure uniformity, standardization and all the good things you mention below. But the tricky part is that convention is a "best practice" approach - it does guarantee that following it, developers will be able to spend less time on routine, mundane tasks and dedicate more time to real creative work.

In this particular case - I compare the "creativity" of clicking mouse 8 times instead of one with the advantages the separation gives me. The real advantage of keeping messages separate would be the ability to ship them out for translation.

But what if I keep messages in Messages.java bundle instead of Messages.properties one? Should these be separated as well - technically they are resources and belong to resource folder?

So I still think it's a moot point, but if people on this list think that separation is a must, of I will - of cause - follow.

Cheers,
Oleg

About benefits, I could cite quality, maintenance, peer review and so on...

Cheers,

Vincent