Hi,

2008/12/26 Vincent Siveton <vincent.sive...@gmail.com>:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> 2008/12/25, Oleg Gusakov <oleg.subscripti...@gmail.com>:
>> Vincent Siveton wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > 2008/12/24, Oleg Gusakov <oleg.subscripti...@gmail.com>:
>> >
>> > [SNIP]

>> beneficial?
>> > >

>> > As said, that is truly what we (Maven and devs) are selling...
>> >

>>  Please regard this as "let's make it better" discussion, not as "I am a
>> smart ass" discussion :)
>
> Sure! As I already said in this thread, our conventions or processes
> could always be improved and I am always happy to participate into
> these kinds of discussions. My point was that we are a community and
> in my mind, if a dev wants to change team's rules or conventions, he
> should explain firstly. My time is counted and yours too (each click
> counts) I can't read under commit messages and I prefer to ask
> directly dev@ with this thread. So we don't play to ping-pong (read
> do-revert-do...)  - win win approach.
>
>>  We are selling developer productivity via convention, not convention by
>> itself. And I am 100% behind this statement: convention goes a long way to
>
> Not sure to understand [1] and [2] as you said.
>
>> ensure uniformity, standardization and all the good things you mention
>> below. But the tricky part is that convention is a "best practice" approach
>> - it does guarantee that following it, developers will be able to spend less
>> time on routine, mundane tasks and dedicate more time to real creative work.
>
> Agree but IMHO the Maven project (and sub projects) needs to follow
> the best practises recommended by Maven, but maybe I am the only one
> to think about that...

No, I agree with you.
IMHO,  we have to follow what we recommend ! (I don't really like the
french proverb : "do what I say but don't do what I do" :-)).
Same for the code style, we have defined one too (checkstyle files,
formatters configuration file for ide).
Ok it can be very long to discuss and a very passionate debat ! But we
have convention and this is very important in a team to follow this !
Everybody in a team must be able to fix as fast as possible in all
projects. And if all projects are different this won't be fast.
I think all is explained here [1].

--
Olivier

[1] http://maven.apache.org/background/philosophy-of-maven.html