Ok John and I looked into this further and here's what we found:

Maven 2.2.0 (with the new wagon) is sending preemptive authentication.
The reason it failed for me is I had a server entry for Nexus that
matched my mirror setting. The auth in there was for another Nexus and
not for my personal one. In previous versions of Maven, the
authentication was only sent if the server sent a 401. In this
version, the client is sending the incorrect auth before getting a 401
and the server nacks it.

This is probably a rare situation but does present itself like a
regression. On the flip side, I would love to be able to enable
pre-emptive authentication but I would want to do it per server. This
would have the effect of halving the requests and upload data for
authenticated servers, but we shouldn't do it by default.