As far as the JBoss stuff in central, we've been trying to get automatic synching going between repositories for a while. The artifacts that are there now were uploaded manually. The synching will probably happen someday, but jboss.org is undergoing a long painful migration process and the repository stuff has been low priority for the people working on it.

One issue that will need to be resolved before we can sync, is how to handle our rebuilt thirdparty jars. For example, if a jboss project needs to patch some thirdparty jar, rebuild it, and upload it to our repository, then we run into a problem with synching. We can't publish this jar to central because we are not the owner of the project, and we can't publish our own projects because they depend on a jar that's only in our repository.

Stephen Connolly wrote:
AFAIK, <repository> and <pluginRepository> entries are banned from
artifacts published to central (unless they are for snapshots only, or
unless they are in an inactive by default profile)

I do not think anything is enforcing this ban though.

I would agree with this policy.  Having <repository> or
<pluginRepository> definitions in a pom.xml can have a massive
performance impact... as eery artifact then gets checked in these
extra repositories.

The biggest issues I see are that two big java companies are very poor
at pushing artifacts to central...

1. This company called "Sun" are very poor when it comes to pushing
artifacts to central, preferring to keep all their artifacts in a repo
that has *both* snapshots and non-snapshots... EEK!!!

2. This other company called "RedHat" have a subsidiary called "JBoss"
that maintain their own repository with a whole pile of really useful
artifacts as well as a pile of stuff from central.

If you happen to know somebody in either of these companies, I would
suggest applying some pressure to maintain artifacts in central ;-)

I also think that somebody needs to put in place a means of policing
the (perhaps informal) rules about artifacts in central or we will
have much bigger problems going forward.

-Stephen