we really need some sort of

<provides>
  <groupId>log4j<groupId>
  <artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
  <version>[1.2.5,1.3)</version>
</provides>

another option would be to add a new scope, e.g. implemented

<dependency>
  <groupId>log4j<groupId>
  <artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
  <version>[1.2.5,1.3)</version>
  <scope>implemented</scope>
</dependency>

that way we can filter out any artifacts which are implemented from the tree...

e.g.

if I depend on org.jboss.thirdparty:log4j

Maven 2.3.0+, 3.0.0+ can see that this implements log4j:log4j, so that
it does not need to be pulled in via transative dependencies