Hi,

I've committed some changes that I'd like reviewed to go forward with which makes Maven releases easier.

1) see http://maven.apache.org/docs/2.0.11-RC1-SNAPSHOT/release-notes.html (may not be present yet due to proxying), and relevant commits in that RC branch

2) see commits in site branch.

The basic approach is this:

* push all release notes into docs/$version/release-notes.html instead of the consolidated older format and add a page to list them in order

* move the release notes for all future versions of Maven into the Maven tree itself. This means that you can create/edit them as they are a snapshot without messing up the site, and publish them automatically with the release.

* set the release up to publish the above site and javadoc/xref at release perform time (this is before the vote, but as it is versioned it is not going to be live)

* consolidate all version specification for the main site in pom.xml, so only those properties need to be edited (I removed 2.1.x, so we have the currentStableVersion - 2.2.0, current20xVersion - 2.0.10, and a list of all releases for generating the previous release notes, + corresponding dates for the current releases)

* remove use of symlink for "current" and instead filter those properties into .htaccess

This means that to do a release, assuming it works (which I'll test with 2.0.11), it's only the release:prepare / perform cycle + upload binaries to www.apache.org (to be automated) + site/pom.xml edit and site-deploy.

The downside of the separate site approach is that the release notes drop the main navigation (but there is a "Documentation" link back to the main site). I don't think this is a bad thing.

Any objections to continuing this approach with Maven 2.2.x, and perhaps making similar attempts on the plugins?

Cheers,
Brett