On 10-Jul-09, at 1:48 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

Hi,

I've committed some changes that I'd like reviewed to go forward with which makes Maven releases easier.

1) see http://maven.apache.org/docs/2.0.11-RC1-SNAPSHOT/release-notes.html (may not be present yet due to proxying), and relevant commits in that RC branch

2) see commits in site branch.

The basic approach is this:

* push all release notes into docs/$version/release-notes.html instead of the consolidated older format and add a page to list them in order

So if someone wants to see the historical list of changes they will need to look at N documents? The consolidated format is good as the history of change is kept in one place which is what people looking to migrate want to see.

* move the release notes for all future versions of Maven into the Maven tree itself. This means that you can create/edit them as they are a snapshot without messing up the site, and publish them automatically with the release.

Again these changes span versions. I have no problem keeping these in SVN somewhere but chopping up the release notes into multiple documents makes it really hard to view the high level changes over time. If folks want to see exacting detail per version they can get this from JIRA. The release notes should be cohesive spanning multiple versions. They at least need to be in an aggregated form somewhere.

* set the release up to publish the above site and javadoc/xref at release perform time (this is before the vote, but as it is versioned it is not going to be live)

If you mean coupling the publishing of site during the release then -1.

The site publishing cannot be coupled to the actual release. The release of the binaries should not fail because of some aggregation, ordering or some other problem with the reporting/site system. Whoever is doing the release can do this in two steps. Some external system could orchestrate this but the actual release itself should not couple the site publishing the distribution of binaries.

* consolidate all version specification for the main site in pom.xml, so only those properties need to be edited (I removed 2.1.x, so we have the currentStableVersion - 2.2.0, current20xVersion - 2.0.10, and a list of all releases for generating the previous release notes, + corresponding dates for the current releases)

* remove use of symlink for "current" and instead filter those properties into .htaccess

This means that to do a release, assuming it works (which I'll test with 2.0.11), it's only the release:prepare / perform cycle + upload binaries to www.apache.org (to be automated) + site/pom.xml edit and site-deploy.

The downside of the separate site approach is that the release notes drop the main navigation (but there is a "Documentation" link back to the main site). I don't think this is a bad thing.

Any objections to continuing this approach with Maven 2.2.x, and perhaps making similar attempts on the plugins?

As bad as the site is now people are accustomed at least to the structure. I really think you should think hard about wanting to flip all this around again. The problem on the site is the content, not the structure. There is actually far too much structure are far too little meaningful information. I honestly don't think this is the best use of anyone's time and the focus should be simplification and clarifying the existing content more then anything.

Cheers,
Brett

Jason

Jason van Zyl