On 2009-09-04, at 10:59 PM, Christian Edward Gruber wrote:

So I agree that it is a valid concern, and there needs to be a canonical format (which will probably be XML) which all artifacts are saved as - but in my source tree, it should be entirely possible to have an alternate way to specify, since often I've found that XML- hatred is a barrier to Maven adoption in some firms.

I have not found this to be a concern. There's lots of other things that are barrier but the XML has honestly never come up in any conversations I've had.

You should always be able to get the pom.xml... help:canonical-pom would be a decent way to quickly do it, and artifacts should be published that way - but a Project is an object, and alternate serializations shouldn't be a problem.

Therein lies the problem, the only real canonical form is the object model. With 3 XML formats which one is the canonical format? The first one?

I would, also as an evangelist and implementor of build systems in companies, encourage that a company standardize on a format, but if that company wants to use YAML, or some other terser, more human readable format for the pom, then I'm good with that.

I'm not. Again this falls into my category of "if you want it that way, you support it." A company can standardize on whatever it wants, but I'm not going to hide the real cost of that. We may ultimately decide it's not worth it having another XML format. There are a lot more things in 3.0 that interest me then another XML format.

I used to feel more like you, Brian, but for the sheer intensity of hatred of XML out there (as a format for human-maintained source).

Again, I've not witnessed any XML hatred or that being a justification by a reasonable person not to use Maven.

The problem you're describing about one project using one and another using a different one - that's no different than one project deciding to use a different set of integration test plugins (invoker vs. shitty) and confusing the noobs. The bottom line is that you're not going to be able to constraint people from going for the "new thing" and messing up the inexperienced, so providing sane defaults with lots of room to customize is the best option, in my view.

Christian.