On 2010-01-29, at 12:08 PM, Julien HENRY wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I spend 2 hours fixing a nasty bug with EAR plugin and dependency
> with type "xml.zip". This dependency was declared in another module of the
> reactor, and was a dependency of a plugin (maven-andromda-plugin). So there
> is no reason that the ear plugin "see" this dependency.
> As I read Maven 3 is much more precise dealing with plugin classpath and
> dependencies, I asked the project leader to try with Maven 3 alpha 6. Hourra!
> It worked fine.
>
> So I told the project to migrate to Maven 3 but the project leader was
> reluctant as it is flagged as "alpha".
>
> As it seems many Maven guys say Maven 3 alpha 6 is much better than Maven
> 2.2.1, could you please for next release use a version with a "higher"
> qualifier that will not afraid corporate people. IMHO "beta" will face the
> same issue, so I suggest "rc" or something like that.

We have a nice stream of people testing it right now and Maven 3.x is
progressing nicely. I honestly don't want mass corporate use until 3.0 is ready
because they are the users that tend to treat us like a support desk whenever
something goes wrong. The alpha and beta signifiers keep those people away
which is the intention. The people who are willing to try the alphas and betas
are the people I want trying them.

We can handle the feedback we're getting now and we're about to do another
large push in 3.0-alpha-7 to try and drastically reduce the bug count. After
the 3.0-alpha-7 is finished I think we will start the betas. Once we switch to
betas then I think we'll get another additional wave of users and I'm sure
we'll find a lot more incompatibilities that need to be fixed. Naming the
release inappropriately would be misleading and ultimately give people the
impression we're just trying to foist our QA on the users. RCs will start
coming out when we can't find anything else wrong and we are still continually
finding small things even though I believe the 3.0-alphas are now an order of
magnitude better then any version of Maven 2.x.

It will be released when its ready and no sooner.

> Best regards,
>
> Julien

Jason