On Aug 8, 2010, at 5:47 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> On 2010-08-08 23:30, Olivier Lamy wrote:

>>> I have noticed this too.
>>> Is this because of a change in Maven 3 or the Site Plugin 3?
>>
>> Maven 3 core.
>
> I read the wiki page you linked to above, but I don't understand why it
> was necessary to remove a life-cycle execution. Can someone explain the
> reasoning behind that?

The site plugin is not special. Any number of specific domains like reporting,
or release management may want to have their own lifecycle. You should easily
be able to contribute one to the core at runtime. If that can be done easily
now then we'll fix that. But reporting of any sort in the core is polluting the
core. Something goes wrong with the reporting lifecycle and users have to wait
until the core is release. That's a bad coupling. You should be able to do
anything you want with/from from your own domain. The site plugin in this case.

> Decouple Doxia and reporting I understand, but won't "arbitrary
> reporting systems" all go through the Site plugin?

No. Who knows what someone else may create.

> I think this will be the subject of many complaints. It also means that
> people just switch from Maven 2 + Site Plugin 2 to Maven 3 + Site Plugin
> 3 without changing their configuration.

>>> --
>>> Dennis Lundberg

> --
> Dennis Lundberg

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance