On 07/08/2010, at 9:47 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2010, at 1:44 AM, Brett Porter wrote:
>

>>> Unavoidable. We're not going to bring in everyone other dependency and any
>>> developer worth their salt can figure out how to pull in sources for
>>> dependent projects. Aether is all JIRA and Confluence it's not a big leap
>>> for anyone here. The barrier is not and never will be the infrastructure,
>>> it's people's time and willingness to contribute.
>>>

>> I continue to disagree. Time/willingess is #1, but the pain of tracking two
>> of everything takes away from the time and willingness one has. We've seen
>> it too many times before.
>>

> So I refute this with an act by Kristian today which was to sign the Sonatype
> CLA, sign up for the mailing list, asked for access to the wiki, already has
> access and has been working with Benjamin. You'll also notice he hasn't
> participated in this discussion at all he's just doing. So I completely
> disagree there is any real pain, just a general unwillingness to attempt
> anything different. So you can spend 15 minutes telling me how hard it is to
> get involved or spend 15 minutes getting involved like Kristian just did.

You mean like spending 15 minutes seeing if I could replicate Arnaud's results?
I'm one of the few who has invested the time to try and track any artifact work
over the last few years, and I don't really appreciate my commitment being
called into question.

As for signing the Sonatype CLA:
"Sonatype requires that you assign the intellectual property rights in your
contribution to Sonatype (with a license back to you to use it in any way you
please)."

No thanks.

In all of the above, if it had been here, Kristian could have saved himself the
15 minutes. But it's the ongoing cost I'm concerned about - stuff like tracking
issues and dealing with external snapshots. I've already said all I can on it.

I'm not unwilling to attempt something different. I'd be happy to explore ways
we could make development at Apache more open to external contributions. I
would be in favour of a low barrier to entry to people committing on things
where we know we need help, particularly when we already know of some existing
merit in the area.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter