On 2010-11-02 00:10, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2010, at 10:35 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Given the discussions about retiring plugin I feel strongly that we need
>> to have a plan for doing so. There are bound to be differing opinions
>> about this, so see this as a starting point for discussions. When we get
>> to the point that we agree on the general process, I'll turn this
>> discussion into a document and put into our site.
>>

>> 1. Propose a vote on the dev-list to retire a plugin. The vote should be
>> open for the standard 72 hours to allow people to voice their opinions.
>> Perhaps also send this to the users-list?
>>

> What kind of vote. 3 +1s, no -1s. Majority of the PMC? Like a technical vote
> that can be vetoed or a release vote that cannot. Please be more clear here.

I haven't decided yet. But if a vote fails, then anyone who voted -1
should be willing to support and maintain that plugin.

>> 2. Decide how to retire the plugin (don't know whether this should be a
>> vote or not, or perhaps incorporated into 1.). There are multiple
>> scenarios available. Two have been suggested in the other threads:
>>
>> 2.1 Move to retired area in svn
>>

> Just retire it and let people take the code as they like. Once it's retired
> it's open season. Let folks who might want to work on it organize themselves
> as they like.

If we don't care what happens to a retired plugin then that is the way
to go, but I think we should put a little more effort into it.

>> 2.2 Move to mojo.codehaus.org
>>
>> please add more possible actions here
>>

>> 3. Make one final release of the plugin before it goes away. This allows
>> us to make a clean break. The final release should have the site changed
>> so that SCM URLs are changed or removed to reflect the decision made
>> under 2.
>
> You're not going to know. I would just say it's retired. When and if someone
> takes up the torch we can point the site at that. In the interim saying it's
> retired I think is fine.

Removing the SCM report is probably the best way to go.

>> If the plugin is moved elsewhere a prominent notice should be
>> placed on the front page of the plugin's site.
>>
>> To respond to the inevitable "why bother" responses I hereby volunteer
>> to do all those releases, if no one else steps up.
>>

> I don't think you have to be a martyr. How about the person who proposes the
> retirement do the final release. If you want to do the cleanup work, you have
> to do all of it.

Jason, you need to understand that this is not about me - it's about
caring for our users. We should not leave things (plugins in this case)
in an unfinished state, no matter what.

If someone wants to take over a retired plugin they shouldn't have to
start with reviewing the difference between the last release and trunk,
changes that someone else has already reviewed and committed.

--
Dennis Lundberg