Hi Benjamin,

Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as part of MNG-4893 [0] an inconsistency in the way a version string is
> treated as a snapshot or release was detected. In short, the issue is
> about what suffix exactly marks a snapshot version.
>
> The current intention is to revise the logic such that the suffix
> "-SNAPSHOT" (note the leading hyphen) and not just "SNAPSHOT" is
> required to denote a snapshot.
>
> This mail is meant as a heads up for users that unintentionally use
> irregular SNAPSHOT versioning and allow them to adjust their builds. If
> changing the builds to use "-SNAPSHOT" isn't possible, we would like to
> hear the technical reasons for this.

This would make us major headaches. We use SNAPSHOT only typically for
parent POMs with a greater scope (e.g. company-wide) that are shared between
multiple components/projects. It is simply not feasible if one project
requires a release that all other projects and components suddenly have to
adjust their POMs. It is an explicitly required behavior that the other ones
use always the latest SNAPSHOT parent if they already use a SNAPSHOT version
as parent. Otherwise the new SNAPSHOT parent is silently ignored and the
other components build against a stale old SNAPSHOT version of that parent
maybe for a long time.

- Jörg