On 04/13/2011 07:56 AM, Julien HENRY wrote:
I would like to know if there is a standard Maven API to edit parts of a
pom.xml. I managed to parse a pom to a Model using ModelBuilder. Then I can do
some modifications and write Model to file using ModelWriter. But of course it
will completly rewrite the pom (loosing comments, writing unwanted tags like
default values, ...).

The main challenge is finding a library for high-fidelity XML round-trip structure editing, i.e. that preserves all details of whitespace and formatting for unmodified nodes. NetBeans has such a system (XAM/XDM) but the dependency tree is too deep for use in a Maven plugin. http://code.google.com/p/decentxml/ is the only such small library I can find. It has its own model rather than Document, DOMImplementationLS, etc., so your code would be tightly tied to that API. It does not appear to be published on Central and I am unsure how reliable it is, but it has a Maven POM utility already, and it seems to work as advertised in my testing - replacing a few element attribute values on some largish hand-edited XML files produced a minimal diff.