We've got some techniques to do this in the release plugin as well.

It may be a good thing to build a solid API (either in Maven proper, or a
shared module) either with this, the code from the release plugin, the versions
plugin, or a combination of them all and then bring them all into line...

On 14/04/2011, at 12:00 AM, Jesse Glick wrote:

> On 04/13/2011 07:56 AM, Julien HENRY wrote:
>> I would like to know if there is a standard Maven API to edit parts of a
>> pom.xml. I managed to parse a pom to a Model using ModelBuilder. Then I can
>> do
>> some modifications and write Model to file using ModelWriter. But of course
>> it
>> will completly rewrite the pom (loosing comments, writing unwanted tags like
>> default values, ...).
>
> The main challenge is finding a library for high-fidelity XML round-trip
> structure editing, i.e. that preserves all details of whitespace and
> formatting for unmodified nodes. NetBeans has such a system (XAM/XDM) but the
> dependency tree is too deep for use in a Maven plugin.
> http://code.google.com/p/decentxml/ is the only such small library I can
> find. It has its own model rather than Document, DOMImplementationLS, etc.,
> so your code would be tightly tied to that API. It does not appear to be
> published on Central and I am unsure how reliable it is, but it has a Maven
> POM utility already, and it seems to work as advertised in my testing -
> replacing a few element attribute values on some largish hand-edited XML
> files produced a minimal diff.

Brett Porter
br...@apache.org
http://brettporter.wordpress.com/