On 28 June 2011 14:01, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The critical scope to add for me is something along the lines of
>> "provides" or "supplies" or "embeds-equivalent"
>>

> Why is this a scope and not just more configuration inside the
> <dependency/> element?
>
>    <dependency>
>      <!-- gav -->
>      <alsoProvides>
>       <alsoProvide>
>        <!-- gav -->
>      </alsoProvide>
>     </alsoProvides>
>    </dependency>

Because why should I have to always state that I'm using
org.slf4j:log4j-over-slf4j and that it provides log4j:log4j much
better that the pom for org.slf4j:log4j-over-slf4j says "oh and by the
way I provide log4j:log4j myself so you don't need to pull it in
transitively if you depend on me"

maven could then break the build for you if you pull in log4j:log4j
and org.slf4j:log4j-over-slf4j just as it does if you try to pull in
two different versions of log4j:log4j

and it could ensure that a project that depends on
org.slf4j:log4j-over-slf4j never has log4j:log4j in its dependency
tree.

People will say that OSGi is the real answer here, and that you have
to... blah blah blah... we are in the real world here, OSGi is good
for some things and not for others, Maven needs a solution that is
better than having to add
<excludes><exclude><groupId>log4j</groupId><artifactId>log4j</artifactId></exclude></excludes>
to _all_ the dependencies in your project just because you have added
a dependency on org.slf4j:log4j-over-slf4j