On 28 June 2011 16:27, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I agree, but if you stick to the "cannot change the pom format" the
>> only thing you can just about do is introduce a new scope.
>>

> Is this, "let's make this feature before we're willing to change the
> pom" or "let's never change the pom".

We, as of yet, do not have a good story for how we can change the pom
format... without breaking all the clients of poms out there...

Keeping in mind that some of the clients are not using Maven's tooling
to parse the pom.

The best story so far is to deploy a side-pom that is of the new
format, so you would be deploying for example

foo-1.0.pom
and
foo-1.0.pom5

for the version 5 format pom.

And our deploy tooling would convert a pom5 into an old modelVersion
4.0.0 pom... this gives the issue of how do we extend again... will we
then end up with .pom, .pom5, .pom6, .pom7, .pom8 all being deployed
at the same time?

So then the story goes that we get an extensible format right and that
is what we deploy (perhaps with a classifier, since poms do not yet
have classifiers, and that way we are not baking version numbers into
the file extension...

foo-1.0.pom
and
foo-1.0-extensible.pom

if you are building with a maven version that knows of extensible poms
it would try for the extensible pom first and fail-back to the 4.0.0
pom. Old builds will only see the 4.0.0 poms... Maven repo managers
can forward convert the 4.0.0 poms to extensible through an
established mapping rule or such if we want to reduce bandwidth... but
then what about the checksums of those poms... and the gpg
signatures... we could do it for central as a one-time operation with
a known gpg signature though as a work-around...

What I have not seen is a concrete solid proposal for an extensible
pom format... and until we have one of those, that can be proven to be
extensible enough that we don't have to dance around again to
accomodate older clients, essentially the pom format is frozen.

-Stephen