> Is it as simple as that for all SCMs?

Yes it is.
Remember the old days: this is only a fix for a 'fix'. Originally the SCM URLs
haven't been changed for child modules. This 'feature' only got introduce later
to make life easier for SVN and CVS users (the vast majority of projects back
then).

What we now do is to disable this 'feature' (which now got a known and expected
default behaviour) in some certain cases. Not more not less.

I honestly fear of doing some magic with the SCM Urls because those are NOT
native urls but get interpreted by the SCM providers. Thus the 'url adaptors'
would need to 100% match the specific scm providers. So you either ship it in
the same build or you are soon doomed I fear. But as you need to ship that
classes as part of a maven release, there is just no upgrade scenario and you
would need to support sins for a long time...

The 2nd nice benefit: I'm currently digging into the attribute stuff in
Modello. If this works out, we can use this approach for other long awaited
features (like the mixins) in a pom-4.0.0 compatible way!

LieGrue,
strub