I have some perhaps minor bad news about attributes.

Attributes on the <url/> element won't validate against the current
schema. I had hoped to discover otherwise, but no such luck.

The combine.children trick passes because it is inside of the 'any'
inside the plugin configuration.

I claim that the following is tolerable from a compatibility standpoint:

1) create a 4.0.1 XSD file that adds the necessary xs:anyAttribute (or
specific attributes, if you prefer) to the <url/> element.

2) Change default archetypes and the release plugin and friends to add
this schema instead of the 4.0.0 schema.

In other words, Mark's experiments show that, in *practical* terms,
adding the attributes works. That leave the question of programs that
actually pay attention to the schema itself. The only bad case would
be some program out there which for some reason always validates
against the 4.0.0 schema even if the schema declared at the top is
4.0.1. I don't believe in this.