Might be if the metadata got downloaded but the artifact (a fat jar for
example) didn't make it?

I bet there are situations where such things still might end ugly.

Just for the record: I'm currently looking at maven-repository-plugin
BundleCreateIT#createWithSCMInfoProvided().
It looks like this issue only hits ITs.

Here is the local IT repo on our CI box:
https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-plugins-ITs-3.x/ws/maven-repository-plugin/target/it-repo/

A comparison of the artifacts I get locally shows that commons-cli-1.0 and
commons-lang-2.1 don't make it on the CI box.

I'll try to ping infra and get drop them from our jenkins repo cache.

LieGrue,
strub