Mark,

THe problem is this: jenkins gets going using information from the
global settings.xml before any command-line args are processed. So
you've created a monster, as it were. Luckily, there's a job option to
use an alternative settings so long as it's in the svn real estate
that the job knows about. So while you can have infra deploy a
'special' maven, you don't have to.

--benson