Hi!

While browsing our CI results I saw randomly failing tests. Most of them are
caused by starting jetty on a specific port which already is in use by another
test.

java.net.BindException: Address already in use
        at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Native Method)

Clearly if 2 unit tests fire up a jetty instance on the same port, then this
cannot run in parallel

Proposal:

What if we add a property in the maven-surefire-plugin to name a semaphore
resource?

<resource>port1080</resource>

This could be a comma separated list. Surefire will then check if any resource
is blocked before scheduling the next test.
The problematic part of course is that surefire must communicate this over
multiple parallel builds.

WDYT?

LieGrue,
strub